In this edition of Celebrity Travel Addicts, we converse with journey blogger Audrey Bergner, the founder of That Backpacker and one-half of the dynamic travel vlogging duo referred to as Samuel and Audrey! We converse together with her about how her and Sam’s passions for journey began, how her blog has advanced over time, the significance of immersive travel, and rather more. Take a look at her greatest journey recommendation and find out the place she and Sam are headed next!
- 1 How did your passion for journey get began?
- 2 What number of days/weeks are you traveling in any given yr? What are the kinds of locations you like to go to?
- 3 Audrey, you started your blog, That Backpacker, when you have been still at college. What makes That Backpacker stand out among the different travel content on the market? How has it grown and advanced since then?
- 4 The 2 of you moved to Seoul, South Korea to teach English. How did that have shape your lives and travels going forward?
- 5 In your YouTube channel, you immerse yourselves in the native culture of the places you go to while diving into the delicacies and sharing money-saving ideas. What makes immersive travel so special and so necessary to you?
- 6 What do you want audiences to realize and study out of your work?
- 7 What are the top three locations you’ve visited?
- 8 Give us your ‘Top 5’ record for one of your prime three destinations. Like a mini-guide or a to-do record of types. It can be anything out of your favourite lodge, one of the best place to have lunch, the most effective sightseeing, and so on.
- 9 How many nations have you ever visited thus far?
- 10 What are your prime three favorite cuisines?
- 11 What’s your favorite restaurant on the planet? What dish do you advocate there?
- 12 What is your favorite journey film?
- 13 What’s your favorite worldwide airport?
- 14 Which metropolis had the friendliest individuals?
- 15 Who is your favorite travel companion?
- 16 What’s the easiest way to kill time whereas touring?
- 17 What is the most unique place your career has taken you?
- 18 What’s your greatest bit of travel recommendation for somebody who needs to, or is about to, embark on a life of travel?
- 19 What are four things you can by no means travel with out?
- 20 What’s your ultimate dream vacation spot?
- 21 What’s your favourite journey quote?
- 22 Where are you headed next?
- 23 Bio
- 24 Associated
How did your passion for journey get began?
For Sam, it began whereas he was in university. As one of his part-time jobs, he determined to start out tutoring English and many of his language students have been from Korea. Sam turned associates together with his students, and they, in turn, obtained him within the risk of educating ESL overseas. The summer time earlier than Sam graduated from university, he determined to travel to Korea and see how he favored it. He spent a couple of weeks exploring Seoul and knew he needed to come again. Earlier than graduation even rolled around, he already had a job lined up. That began a cycle of train overseas, journey, repeat!
For me, the travel obsession started even earlier. I grew up in a really international household with kinfolk scattered throughout totally different continents. I used to be all the time fascinated by the languages they spoke and the tales of day by day life in their chosen lands. I feel it also helped that my mother and father enjoyed journey and all the time took us youngsters along with them! By the time I was in university, most of my financial savings have been going straight into travel; one or two huge journeys a yr, travelling on a strict price range, crashing with associates, and exploring new locations. It wasn’t lengthy after graduation that I additionally accepted a educating job in Korea, which is where I met Sam, and the remaining is history!
What number of days/weeks are you traveling in any given yr? What are the kinds of locations you like to go to?
Once we first began travelling, we used to spend the entire yr on the street, solely returning house to Canada for summer time and Christmas holidays. This was great from a journey perspective, nevertheless it wasn’t very conducive to getting work accomplished. Nowadays we wish to spend about half the yr travelling and the opposite half of the yr at residence.
As for the kinds of locations we like to visit, we’ve these days discovered ourselves drawn to quieter and lesser-known locations. We really loved the power of mega-cities once we have been in our 20s, but nowadays we choose smaller destinations which are near nature and have access to outside activities. We lately spent three months travelling in Argentina and we particularly chose smaller towns that don’t essentially see so much of international tourism – it was great going off-the-beaten monitor and being stunned by places that we knew nothing about.
Audrey, you started your blog, That Backpacker, when you have been still at college. What makes That Backpacker stand out among the different travel content on the market? How has it grown and advanced since then?
I positive did! I was obsessive about journey while I used to be in university and I might use each Christmas Break, Studying Week and Summer time Break to journey anyplace I might. I began my blog as a approach to documents and look again on these trips, however I quickly found there was this entire travel group out there, and it turned a method to join with other people who love travel as much as I do.
The format of the blog has undoubtedly modified through the years. As more individuals started discovering my weblog, I additionally began getting extra comments and e-mails from readers requesting further ideas and recommendation on the locations I had been to, and that took my blog in a new path. Now, once I’m writing a blog publish, I still share the destination based mostly on my personal expertise, but I also attempt to sprinkle in travel ideas and helpful info that may help the subsequent individual visiting the place.
The 2 of you moved to Seoul, South Korea to teach English. How did that have shape your lives and travels going forward?
That’s true! We met whereas we have been both educating ESL in the province of Gyeonggi-do. The experience of dwelling abroad was like slightly taste of travel – new culture, new meals, new language, and countless prospects to explore the nation on the weekends. The job additionally allowed us to economize in order that once we completed our contracts, we have been capable of go travelling around Southeast Asia, the Center East and then Europe. We received a style of the journey life and haven’t appeared back since.
In your YouTube channel, you immerse yourselves in the native culture of the places you go to while diving into the delicacies and sharing money-saving ideas. What makes immersive travel so special and so necessary to you?
There’s a quote by James A. Michener that says, “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home” and we whole-heartedly agree! For us, travel is all about immersing ourselves in the destination, connecting with locals, and of course, making an attempt the meals, which in turn opens the door to dialog. We’re foodies by way of and via so you’ll all the time find us scouting the native markets, sampling the road meals, and making an attempt new dishes in restaurants. Consuming is half the fun of being in a new place!
What do you want audiences to realize and study out of your work?
We need to assist individuals experience the same locations we journey to! One of the important thing options of our work, be it our videos or weblog posts, is that we try to share all the knowledge you’d have to go and have these similar experiences. We’ll inform you the right way to get there, how much it costs, what the place is like, whether or not we loved it, and then individuals can determine whether it’s someplace they’d like so as to add to their itinerary.
What are the top three locations you’ve visited?
We now have far more than three, however I’ll share three nations whose landscapes blew us away: Jordan, Kyrgyzstan and South Africa.
Give us your ‘Top 5’ record for one of your prime three destinations. Like a mini-guide or a to-do record of types. It can be anything out of your favourite lodge, one of the best place to have lunch, the most effective sightseeing, and so on.
Okay, I’ll go together with Jordan:
- Spend an evening camping within the desert. Imagine Wadi Rum beneath the celebs, a zarb barbecue cooked within the sand, adopted by cups of mint tea and a number of rounds of shisha when you sit around a crackling hearth.
- Experience the Dana Biosphere Reserve. That is Jordan’s largest nature reserve and it has an extremely rich biodiversity. We stayed at the Feynan Ecolodge where we obtained to study concerning the nomadic method of life, loved a star-gazing session on the rooftop, and then fell asleep to the sound of the howling wind.
- Go off-roading in Wadi Rum. It’ll feel like you’ve landed on Mars! Marvel at the Seven Pillars of Wisdom, problem your buddies to a race up the sand dunes, and then watch the solar set over the desert.
- Cowl your self in mud and float in the Lifeless Sea. The mud is sweet in your pores and skin and it’s pretty cool with the ability to float with out even making an attempt.
- Explore the city of Wadi Musa. This is the closest town to Petra and there’s a lot to do right here once you’ve visited the archaeological website. Some concepts: study to make baba ghanoush and tabbouleh in a cooking class, take pleasure in drinks in a cave bar set in a 2000-year-old tomb, or get pampered in a hammam.
We’ve got tons of other strategies, so if this seems like someplace you’d like to go to, you’ll be able to take a look at our full Jordan journey itinerary across the length of the country.
How many nations have you ever visited thus far?
Someplace around 70-ish! We’re country repeaters; if we love a spot, we’ll go back once more and again and again, so our nation rely could be very slow-growing.
What are your prime three favorite cuisines?
Korean, Peruvian and Vietnamese.
What’s your favorite restaurant on the planet? What dish do you advocate there?
If there’s one restaurant we hold going back to once more and again, it’s Bodegón Norte in Buenos Aires. There’s nothing fancy about this place; it’s really an old style, family-run restaurant that makes a speciality of Argentine classics, however the meals is hearty, the parts are giant, and the employees deal with you want household. It’s such as you’ve gone over to your grandparents’ place on a Sunday afternoon and everyone is gathered for an enormous feast. That’s the texture of the place and it’s the rationale we hold going again. We all the time take pleasure in chatting with the owner, Rogelio, anytime we’re within the city – when you go, inform him the Canadians despatched you! 😉
What is your favorite journey film?
Lost in Translation. I’m pretty positive that’s what first sparked our curiosity in visiting Japan.
What’s your favorite worldwide airport?
Incheon Worldwide Airport in South Korea. It’s such a modern and efficient airport, plus there’s a lot to do when you have an extended layover. They have tons of cultural experiences the place you possibly can attempt on the normal Korean gown (hanbok), discover ways to make totally different crafts, watch the recreation of a Joseon dynasty royal parade, plus they hold live shows that range from classical music to Okay-pop.
Which metropolis had the friendliest individuals?
Can I answer with an entire country?! I’m going to say Argentina. We’ve spent months travelling there and we’re all the time amazed at how straightforward it is to satisfy individuals and make associates. Argentineans love to talk and each time we’re there, we find ourselves hanging up conversations with strangers. Critically, when you ever find yourself travelling by way of Argentina, settle for individuals’s invitations and you may find yourself making a lifelong pal.
Who is your favorite travel companion?
Each other! As tacky because it sounds, we’ve been doing this journey thing ever since we met again in 2012 and we’ve discovered to work together it doesn’t matter what travel throws our means.
What’s the easiest way to kill time whereas touring?
If we’ve got an extended journey day, we wish to attempt and get work completed, be it video modifying, writing blog posts, or modifying photographs. If that’s not an choice, we’ll take heed to music (Sam) or an audiobook (Audrey).
What is the most unique place your career has taken you?
In all probability Kyrgyzstan!
We first travelled there in 2016 to attend the World Nomad Games, a sporting and cultural occasion that showcases the wealthy custom of nomadic culture found in Central Asia.
We received a taste of the nomadic life with some yurt dwelling and horse trekking in Music Kol, and then we got here again two years later to discover Issyk Kul’s south shore, eat our approach around Karakol and do some extra trekking.
What’s your greatest bit of travel recommendation for somebody who needs to, or is about to, embark on a life of travel?
Give attention to the answer, not the issue. Travel tends to throw tons of surprises your method and it teaches you to grow to be a quick-thinker and drawback solver.
What are four things you can by no means travel with out?
Digital camera, laptop computer, headphones…and sunscreen! Every little thing we have to film and edit…and hold Sam from getting a sunburn.
What’s your ultimate dream vacation spot?
We both agree on a cruise to Antarctica. It’s the final continent we’re but to visit!
What’s your favourite journey quote?
“Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.” -Paul Theroux
Our travels have involved driving buses with no AC by way of the Cambodian countryside, having our practice derail in a tunnel in the middle of the Thai jungle, and breaking our digital camera gear while travelling in Poland. Travel just isn’t all the time straightforward, nor does it go in response to plan, nevertheless it makes for nice tales you could snort about, and someway on reflection, even the dangerous experiences don’t seem that dangerous.
Where are you headed next?
More travels in Canada! We’ve actually been prioritizing exploring our residence nation this summer time. After spending this past month within the Maritimes, next up, we’re flying out west and doing a two-week street trip throughout Vancouver Island. That’s the place Sam grew up and I’ve never been earlier than, so it’ll be really nice to explore the island collectively.
We’re Samuel and Audrey! We’re originally from Canada but have been travelling the globe ever since assembly back in 2012. We wish to doc our travels by means of videos, so you’ll find us on Youtube in each English and Spanish. For some behind-the-scenes updates, you’ll be able to comply with us on Instagram.